August 23

Is the strength through discipline good or not?

Last week when I finished reading The wave. A question came to my mind. I believe everyone who have ever read this book will have the same type of thinking . Is the strength through discipline good or not? Or what will happen if one person has power? What if a group of people have power without a good leader ?

It also tells me how easily can people lose their mind under the pressure of a group. It makes me kind of understand how did Nazi form and why they did so many horrible things but no one in Germany want to stop them or dare to stop them, and everyone pretended not to see or hear. The process of forming of both The wave and Nazi are kind of the same.

Let’s talk about The wave first, it all begins from a history class experiment. At first it seems to be a good thing, everyone is well-behaved. Not only in history class, but also in other classes in school. The students in that class become crazy about The wave . They persuade other students to join The wave. In a short time , a class of students become a grade of students then become almost a school of students in just a few days. Then some unexpected thing happened. The member of The wave don’t allow the non-member of it to see the football game. Some of them revenge the non-member if they refuse to join The wave. The symbol of The wave is everywhere in school. They hold assembly for the member of The wave. Everything loses control. No one dare to say bad things about The wave.

The same thing happened in Nazi Germany. No one dare to say no in that situation. It seems that everyone is equal in an organization. But in some way, it means you don’t have your own mind, you lose your ability to think, think whether everything is right or wrong. You just follow, do the same thing as others. The world will become horrible when no one has their own mind, when people don’t even know who are they following and why.

And it’s also about power, if one person has power, there may be someone who dare to question or say no. But if a group people have power, it becomes much more stronger. No one dare to say no then, because now you are under the pressure of a whole group. When people have power at first, they will value it and use it well. When they get used to having power , they begin to use it for personal benefit. Almost everyone will do it. Greedy is a part of humanity. Now imagine if a group of people all have the same power, because they are equal in an organization. They all use power to get their own benefit. What will happen? It might be the reason why Nazi did so many bad things but no one stand out to stop them.

It’s the strength through discipline.

Posted August 23, 2015 by camilleleman in category Uncategorized

1 thoughts on “Is the strength through discipline good or not?

1. Mrs T

You make some very interesting points, Camille, and I particularly like your observation that it’s the power of a group rather than an individual that we should be careful of. This line of inquiry could lead to some very interesting research for you. You have made connections both to real-world situations as well as those in the fiction, and this is exactly the sort of thinking I like to see.

Great post, well done.
    Mrs T 🙂

Reply